Pre-departure orientation - Vancouver and Toronto
An orientation meeting is provided in late July/early August in Vancouver and Toronto for newly hired teachers who wish to attend. This meeting provides an opportunity to meet other new teachers, gather information and ask questions. Some of the topics covered are:
- Overview of Maple Leaf Educational Systems, schools and students
- Expectations of teachers
- Flight arrangements and what happens on arrival
- What to bring: clothes, documents, electronics
- Phones and Internet
- Money and Banking - Tax
- Health and Safety - Health Insurance Plan
- Cultural differences
It is recommended that you bring approximately 3000 RMB (www.xe.com) in cash with you when you arrive at your School. Shopping trips are planned and some banks and stores in China do not accept international credit or bank cards. The first salary payment is September 15.
Teachers are also advised to bring a small amount of US currency and Japanese currency if your flight involves an overnight stay in Tokyo/Narita.
Each school will provide orientation sessions that will likely include
- Shopping trip for essentials
- School history and tour
- School administrative structure
- Contact list with office/apartment phone numbers and e‐mails
- Cultural advice/Local customs
- Group tour of the area.
- Review Teachers’ Handbook
- Daily, weekly time tables and yearly school calendar
- Office assignments and distribution of keys
- Use of mailboxes, photocopying, etc.
- Physical examination (Chinese government requirement)
For teachers arriving in the middle of a semester the principal will provide orientation informationp and the teachers help you settle in and learn to navigate your new surroundings.